Monday, May 12, 2008

35 and a half weeks pregnant and dilated!

Well, we had our weekly OB checkup today and found out that my cervix is already 2.5 cm dilated and "ripe". My doctor asked, "have you been taking it easy at home?" to which I replied "ummmmm, nope". I guess my nesting frenzy last week of washing, folding and organizing baby clothes and packing hospital bags does not constitute "taking it easy". Finding out that I was already dilating did not surprise me because my contractions have been quite frequent and I am experiencing a lot of pressure "down there". I was told that I need to slow down (a lot)and limit my activity if I want to keep this kid cooking for another few weeks (my Doctor's goal, and ours too). So, with the help of family members taking Lorelei during different times throughout the week, I will hopefully be able to stay at this dilation for a while. If I go in next week and he finds that I am as much as 4cm dilated, he will take me straight in to the hospital because he does not want me to "have this baby at home". My labor with Lola (once kick-started by pitocin) lasted all of 4 hours and I had started at 0cm dilation. I guess with the second baby, my body is prepping early. An ultrasound today showed that she is still head down and is partially engaged and doing well. They will start estimating size in two weeks if I am still pregnant then. If by Friday the 6th of June I am still "with child", I will be sent in for an induction. Things are really moving quickly now and Matt and I are both anxious and excited but are hoping that the baby has as much time as possible inside of me to give her the best possible start. So, tomorrow the baby car seat goes in the car and the hospital bags too...just in case.

More updates to come and some photos too.